Sunday, March 4, 2012

Two Commutes, Two Rides, Two Flats

I ridden my bike in twice since Monday.  Tuesday went pretty much like Monday.  On Friday, I took a lap around work so that my distance home was 6 miles instead of 3.  The pannier likes to try and fall off sometimes, but I think I have a fix for that (more on that in a future post).

On Saturday, I went for a 17 mile ride.  My garmin claims I had a moving average of 13.3 mph, but I'm not sure I believe it was that high. My ride length is starting to progress nicely.

Today, I put my two little monkeys in the trailer and went for a ride.


The trailer is a little bit too small for the two of them which can lead to some, errr..., arguments between the two, but they usually have a good time.  Giving them snacks and water bottles can help a lot.

About half way into the ride (4 miles out of 8.5), I notice my bike wasn't riding well at all.  I stopped and looked at the trailer wheels which were both fine.  I then notice my rear tire was completely flat.  Since I had a spare tube, I didn't bother looking for the leak and just put in a new tube (it probably took 20 minutes total - maybe a little less).

When I was pulling into my driveway, I realized my front wheel was flat as well.  I went to REI and bought two new tubes as well as Slime tire liners.  I've heard mixed things about these, but I thought I'd give them a try. I've got the liner installed on the front wheel, two spare tubes in my trunk back, and I'm ready to ride to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment