Sunday, March 25, 2012

"I'm Biking in the Rain, Just Biking in the Rain..."

The radar looked iffy, but to me it looked like there was a break in the rain, so I took a chance and went out.  I think I would have been fine, but my friend Tom called me back just after I left and told me he didn't want to join me because it was raining at his house.  (I'm sure that if he didn't call, it never would have rained on my route.).  I told him that it wasn't raining where I was and then I kept going.

When I started the ride, I was wearing my Canary Yellow Canary rain jacket.  Errr, my Canary Canary Yellow rain jacket..  (My Canary brand rain jacket that is canary yellow; boy that was harder than it should have been). After about 20 minutes and 3 miles into the ride, it was starting to rain pretty hard, so I pulled over an put on my rain pants.

I probably should have worn my full-finger gloves instead of just regular bike gloves as it was only in the 50s (Fahrenheit; ~ 10 C) when I left.  The cold rain didn't make that any better.  But the rain suit did a good job of keeping me mostly dry.  And I had no problem climbing 10% grades with very wet pavement (I believe that some of the smaller distances had bigger grades, but that's the maximum I see on my route).  This was definitely not the best ride I've ever been on, but given the weather, it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Since I bought this bike, I've put on (just under) 290 miles in just over a month and a week.  I'm still very much enjoying this bike (even in the rain).

No comments:

Post a Comment